My brother didn't have much budget for a bike, but wanted for camping/riding.
He got a Trek 7.1 FX, and he and I had a great time touring for two nights out
in Marin.

But there was one big issue: with its cheaper wheels, he has a lot of
spoke-breaking problems on this bike. It's more frequent than should be
considered tolerable for a reliable bike. To keep using this bike in the ways
he likes (commuting, overnighters), he is going to need a better rear wheel. If
this is typical of the model, I'd say that adds about $200 to its price. Solid
wheels are non-negotiable.

On Apr 13, 2013, at 1:41 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery wrote:

> There is no one bike for everybody.
>
> Today I saw a Trek 7.1 FX on the light rail train in Minneapolis. Just
> guessing it's a $450ish new bike. From an unbiased viewpoint, it has lots of
> attractive features. Good tire clearance (fendered 700x40 easy), smart
> gearing, good brakes, high handlebars. Easy to rack and fender. Sure, it had
> lower end Shimano Alivio components, but I'm not sure that 20-year-old XT
> parts worked any better or were more durable than present day Alivio.
> Obviously it lacks the cachet and street cred of a vintage steed, but not
> everybody who wants a bike to ride shares that nostalgia. For most cyclists
> shopping in this price range and wanting a good bike with minimal hassle, I'd
> not hesitate to recommend this model. Just walk into a Trek shop and buy it.
> No hunting Craigslist, no uncertainty about history or worn/broken parts, and
> a warranty!
>
> Of course, the case could be made that a suitable older bike is worth the
> extra effort and risk of chasing down Craigslist leads and fixing up the bike
> as needed. Many of us here enjoy that sort of thing. Many of our significant
> others, little sisters, buddies at work, etc, probably don't have that hobby,
> and don't understand why buying a bike has to be a fussy, complicated
> process. Those of use who've been drinking the kool-aid for years sometimes
> forget that not everybody shares our tastes or our willingness to put up with
> inconvenience. For better or worse, the mass market bikes are excellent for
> mass market cyclists.

James Warren
jimcwar...@earthlink.net

- 700x55