There is a tendency to look back with rose colored glasses in the world of
bikes, guitars and amps, whatever.  The majority of 1970s bikes were really
crappy, not even as good as most of the bikes currently sold at Target.   I
spent many hours in my bike shop wrench days fixing the "BMA/6" bikes to try to
make them operable.  Even the lower end imports from Motobecane, Gitane,
Peugeot, etc., were pretty much junk.  And the top end bikes weren't much
better made than the current mid-level bikes from Rivendell.

While the Bridgestones of yore are highly revered, the current offerings from
Riv and others blow them out of the water.  My wife's Heron is vastly better
made than her 1993 XO-1 was.  The brazing on the XO-1 was crude, the lugs were
crude, the paint was crude by comparison.  All of the AHHs and Atlantises and
Rambouillets etc. that I have seen are far, far better made bikes than the old
Bridgestones.

As for components, modern mid-level stuff is far better designed and made than
the old mid-level stuff.  At the top end the modern stuff works better than the
old stuff... although I much prefer the looks of Nuovo Record and I use
friction shifting on most of my bikes :-)  We all have our rose colored glasses.

Tim