I was unable to find the perfect '70s era Masi for anywhere near the price
Tom Kellogg of Spectrum charge me to make a 30th anniversary bike for me
with Columbus SL tubing.  It is kind of the best of both eras.  The
wonderful Geo and looks of the 70s, but much more tire clearance (currently
using the new Grand Bois 700x30 Extra Legers, could easily fit 35s), the
brazing and lug work is definitely better (may the bike gods strike me down
for dissing Fidelio!) and Tom's wizardry with the paint is second to none.

I am very happy with the DT Simplex Retrofriction shifters.  So sometimes I
may not know exactly which gear I am in.  As long as pedaling is
comfortable, what else do I need?