The gear on the seatpost seams like an awkward position to place a gear.
If it had any advantage, it would be on the type of bicycling that did not
require you to shift to much. I would think in riding, you would want a
gear somewhere near the riding position that you are in.  Having it at the
seat post requires you to get out of that position to somewhat and that
your hands can get down their besides the seatpost to rotate the lever.