On Mon, 2013-04-15 at 22:06 -0700, Cyclofiend Jim wrote:
> Thanks for bringing up those points, Jan - I'm not specifically
> against freewheels.  My experience was that I regularly bent axles on
> my old mtb which had a freewheel and never had that problem with any
> freehubs.  My recollection was that the mtb (which was a six speed
> 1983 drivetrain) had narrower cones than my XT and DuraAce freehubs.
> But again, no data to back that up.

That's not the only, or even the worst, problem with freewheels.  By
design, pedaling tightens a freewheel.  On a tandem or on a bike ridden
by a very strong rider, they get screwed on so tight it's difficult if
not outright impossible to remove them.  What's more, the tremendous
force needed (we're talking about six foot cheater bars here, no
exaggeration) is channeled through a couple of small notches or a
handful of splines, which readily strip out.

> And I guess the point I was really trying to make stemmed from your
> comment about the loss of tooling, expertise and the necessary
> economies of scale involved in making a quality freewheel today.
> Since most of the bicycle market probably is less likely to support
> it, it seems freewheel production isn't likely to increase.  But since
> there are plenty of freehubs around, why not continue to let them make
> the ratchety bits and focus on making something that is not designed
> to shift in a crosswind.  Okay, that's overstating it, but it seems to
> me that creating a longer-toothed cassette of longer-wearing material
> might be a simpler option.
>
> I just recall walking into the old shops and looking at the cog board
> in the back.  It seems like it should be comparatively easy to come up
> with a similar solution.

That assumes there's actually a market for straight-cut sprockets.  Even
back in the 1970s they were actively searching for tooth profiles that
made shifting easier.  Remember Shimano's wavy teeth?  I doubt the total
market for such cassettes in this country would even be as large as the
readership of this google group.