The bearings spacing on most cassette hubs is no different from that of a
freewheel hub. With the exception of Shimano and Mavic and a few small
makers, all freehubs have the hub bearings under the flanges, more or less.
As long as the axle is properly designed, that is not a problem.

The problem with most freewheel hubs were the thin axles. They were
designed for 4-speed and 115 mm spacing. With that short overhang, no
problem. Then they added another 5 mm on the drive-side for 5-speed, and it
was getting marginal. Then they added another 6 mm to use 6-speed, and the
design no longer worked. They now had more than twice the lever as before,
yet kept the diameter of the axle the same. It's surprising that it worked
as well as it did!

Adding grooves in the axle on both sides made the problem worse. (Who needs
to adjust their hub on both sides? Maxi put the grooves on the non-drive
side only, so you adjusted only that side.)

There are plenty of freewheel hubs that don't break axles. Don't conclude
from a poor execution that the entire concept is flawed. Cassette hubs have
their own design problems. The biggest one is that the bearings under the
cassette have to be relatively small.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly