Needle bearing headsets have quite a lot of drag, even when adjusted
perfectly.  For that reason alone, needle bearing headsets are a pretty
common remedy for shimmy.  I don't have first hand experience curing shimmy
with one.

This type of front end shimmy is usually considered a harmonic oscillator,
which is modeled in math as a spring/mass/damper.  The wikipedia page on
Damping has the math.  Moderate to severe shimmy on a bicycle will continue
indefinitely until you grab the bars or squeeze the top tube with your
knees, which is typical of an underdamped system.  The ways to get out of
that are to change the frequency of your oscillation (difficult and/or
confusing guesswork) or add damping.  Your hands on the bars adds damping.
 A steering damper adds damping.  A headset with some drag adds damping.
 There are many anecdotal reports out there that "my bike shimmied like
crazy on my ride to the shop, where we installed a needlebearing headset.
 The ride home on the identical bike I could not make it shimmy".

The model that Riv sells is only half-needle bearing.  Maybe that's enough
damping.  It's an empirical question.