First all Amen to what the wise  CycloFiend had to say.  If Craigslist in
your area isn't yielding good results (or at least reasonably priced
results then I would suggest 2 options.  1) the season of garage sales is
upon us (in NA at least) and you can often find a good old 10 speed that
someone just wants to clear out of the garage at those, my best method for
finding old 10 speed era bikes is my local bike co-op, in Seattle that is
Bike Works.  They rehad and resell a number of bikes that get donated to
them but they have a whole warehouse of bikes that they haven't been able
to get to or are just a frame etc and they are much more reasonably priced
than 95% of whats on Craigslist and I know the $$ I spend at the co-op is
going to bike causes I feel good about.

Hope you and your friend find a likely lugged steed and have fun with it.

Ryan

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q0RliCBFcqQ/UYA_T_xN-kI/AAAAAAAAAm8/Gg9RgGdSToA/s1600/Schwinn+Le+Tour+III+AFTER.jpg>

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8grGJZFc_uM/UYA_WSfWNwI/AAAAAAAAAnE/mPUldWOdDxk/s1600/Schwinn+Le+Tour+III+BEFORE.jpg>
I have included a before and after of 1978 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte I just
built for my sister in law.  It came from the bike co-op for $40 and got
the bigger tires, upright bars, bell and basket treatment along with a alot
of TLC.