Another option is to start with a new frameset and build it up with the
components he would eventually transfer over to a Rivendell.  I've been
doing this with my old Trek hybrid and it's now an extremely comfortable
and versatile bike.  I finally decided the frame geometry isn't right for
me so I bought a 2012 Handsome Devil frameset (modeled after Grant's XO-1
and the same geometry as the Bridgestone RB-T and the  Rivendell Legolas)
that will be built up with my components.  It's not quite into riv
territory geometrically speaking (Riv's tend to have longer chainstays,
lower bottom brackets, slacker angles and road bike trail) but it's a big
step in that direction compared to what I'm currently riding.    I have
high hopes for the frameset and if I like the changes then I'll know that
I'm heading in the right direction by coveting a Rivendell bicycle.   I'm
sort of testing the waters without having to make the substantial
investment that is a Rivendell frameset.