I too had seen the Long Ranger post on Jeff Jones' blog and noted the
similarities to the Appaloosa.  Two prototypes from fringe, niche,
small-volume bicycle designers does not an industry change make, but I'm
still excited to see the possibilities that these type of bikes are moving
towards.  I also work in a cargo bike speciality shop (Blue Heron Bikes in
Berkeley, CA) and get to feel everyday how well *really* long bikes ride.
I think long tail cargo bikes dimensions are a purely functional
consideration for carrying things and passengers, but as Jones notes in his
blog, riding one gets you thinking about how similar qualities might be
built into single bikes for spirited riding.  Especially interesting are
the new generation of "midtail," slightly shorter cargo bikes that are
basically halfway between a traditional single and a full-on longtail, like
the Yuba Boda Boda, the Kinn Cascade Flyer, and maybe the Kona Mini?
(haven't seen one of those in person).

Disclaimer: we sell Boda Bodas, and soon, the Kinn as well.

I am also lucky to be a Riv local and have ridden the Appaloosa prototype,
and agree with the impression that this is not simply a laid-back cruiser,
but is a responsive, fun, and FAST bike with an upright seating primary
seating position (the wonderful Bosco bars also let you stretch out and get
aero when the situation demands), much like Jeff Jones' designs are
intended (never ridden one those myself, so can't say).  The long TT helps
dial in the reach with the super-swept back Bosco bars, and the long
chainstays assure that weight remains balanced well within the wheelbase of
the bike, keeping both wheels planted on the road or trail.  When I rode
the proto, Keven made the comparison to engine placement in a sports car.
Just going upright on a bike with "normal" chainstay length, you end up
with something like an early 80's Porsche, with the engine hanging out over
the rear wheels, making the front end of the car light.  In bikes, this
becomes a problem for attacking steep climbs, since the front wheel won't
stay planted.  According to Keven, extending the chainstays helps make
things more balanced in turn and allows you to stay upright with your butt
planted in the saddle on climbs, rather than leaning forward and scooching
onto the nose of the seat in order to try to stay balanced.

I think the comparison to early cruiser-geometry MTB's, which were
notoriously bad climbers, is inevitable, but I don't think that these new
longer bikes suffer from the same problems.  My guess is that most of the
problems with the early MTB's were related to the steering geometry, with
super slack head angles and long-offset forks, leading to floppy front ends
that wouldn't track on a climb (but came in handy on rough, high-speed
descents).  I haven't seen a geometry chart for the Appaloosa, but my guess
is that it uses something closer to the traditional Rivendell steering
geometry.