Thanks for posting this... I've long been a Jeff Jones fan, and I think
he's definitely heading in the right direction.  I was recently at the
Fruita Fat Tire Festival (in Western CO), and I ran into 2 guys from Surly
(Bob and Matt, great guys). They were each riding leftover prototypes of
the Krampus (29er with Knard tires), and were kind enough to let me take
one out for a spin.  While the weekend event seemed to be drowning in a sea
of carbon and full-suspension bikes, THIS honestly was the highlight of the
weekend..  a fully-rigid steel 29er with FAT TIRES!!   I rode 2 demo bikes
(with ridiculous price tags); a Giant carbon hardtail race 29er
(ridiculously light, but squirrelly), and a Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon, full
suspension.. each had a 10-speed cassette.  I have long admired Santa Cruz;
I still think they're one of the best MTB manufacturers.  I rode the
Tallboy for 2 days, and honestly, I couldn't wait to get off it.  I hated
the mushy feel and the lack of connection to the trail.  When I arrived
back in NJ, I gratefully hugged my steel Niner.

Overall I have to say I was deeply disappointed by the array of bikes I saw
from the big manufacturers at the Festival... I don;t know, I must be
losing touch.

BB