On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 06:43 -0700, Chris Lampe 2 wrote:
> Some of the things that influence trail include:
>
> fork rake
> head tube angle
> tire width
> rim diameter
>
> I suspect that the following influence the "feel" of trail:
>
> handlebar height
> handlebar width
> point-of-balance on the bicycle

and amount of load and where carried

> I've used the trail calculator linked in this thread quit a bit and
> fork rake and head tube each have a significant impact for a given rim
> diameter.  Tire width as a small impact.

Tire width has a small inpact on geometric trail.  Tire width has a
large impact on pneumatic trail.  The two combine to produce overall
trail.  When you widen the tires and increase pneumatic trail, you need
to reduce geometric trail, or else you end up with excessive trail and
the bike feel sluggish.  When you narrow the tires you need to increase
the geometric trail, or you may end up with insufficient stability.