Recently we saw a presentation by Dr Steve Fabes at our local REI about his
round the world trip.  He's an MD, raising funds for tropical diseases.
Admittedly "not much of a biker" and "unskilled mechanic", his trekking
bike has a Rohloff hub.  He changes the oil every 3,000 miles and that's
it.  He left the UK, crossed Europe, round the Middle East, north to south
thru Africa, across to the tip of South America, up the west coast of South
& Central America to the States.  He was about 700 days on the road, had
worn out 2 tents and one set of Ortleib panniers (they were unrecognizable
except the little reflective bits) and Rohloff had not required any
attention other than the oil changes.  But of course for the cost, a
Rohloff should outperform any other IGH.

dougP