On 08/19/2013 10:23 AM, Patrick Moore wrote:
For both the reasons Eric mentions -- direct in high, sturdier mechs -- I am leaning toward the S3X with a freewheel.

Too bad no one makes a 3sp hub gear that gives you direct in high, a 15% reduction, then a 30% reduction -- is that even possible given the inherent limits in epicyclic gear trains?

But to my mind, direct = high makes much more sense than direct = 25% lower than high.

Why? Unless you set "high" to be your normal cruising gear (which then wouldn't be very 'high' at all) you'd be wasting your most efficient gear in the range you use the least, and where efficiency matters the least. You spend most of your time in the normal cruising gear, so efficiency losses would be felt the most. What gear inches did you have in mind for this setup?