Thanks for that.

I finished up with the initial setup.  Here's the before:

<http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/10237186425_f38e3e5b1a_z.jpg>

And here's after:

<http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7319/10383159085_5010e3d1ce_z.jpg>

Copious pictures on my flickr, as usual:
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/sets/72157636508980195/

Anyway the switch was from Tektro 559s mid-reach dual pivots to Gran Compe
610 centerpulls.  Also we added the Gran Compe Ciclo ENE mini front rack.
 That enabled me to move over a Berthoud decaleur from another bike for a
proper handlebar bag setup with my Loyal Designs front bag.  Extra
clearance earned provoked me to try out a pair of 700x35 Pasela tires that
I had in the tire box.  I of course still have the 700x30 Challenge Eroicas
that came off the bike and will likely use them again soon.  Finally, just
for fun, I swapped Flite saddles between bikes to convert from Black to
Blue, and I did a new Blue Newbaums wrap job to tie it together.

I only rode up and down my 12% hill a few times, but first impression is
the centerpulls are substantially more powerful, and the modulation seems
excellent.  The harder you grab the more they stop.  So far, positive
reviews.  Time will tell.