throwing out an example - when I used my Zefal this way, on the seat tube,
it fell off all the time and I ended up strapping it

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/aP4130005.jpg>

when I moved it to the top tube with an umbrella clip (rubber pad under the
umbrella clip) - it wouldn't come off in an earthquake or plane crash

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/aP4140012.jpg>

but its all about the compression load on the spring, i.e., how long is the
opening and how hard must you squeeze the pump to place it.