A couple weeks back my trusty Patagonia Snap-T Synchilla that's been with
me since college mysteriously "disappeared" at a coffee shop. Needless to
say, I was mad to lose such a long owned and well used piece of clothing.

Today, I go to check out what colors they come in now so I can make that my
one wish for the coming holiday season. Thankfully I find they still make
the Snap-T...BUT WTH happened to the cut and sizing?! When I pulled a
medium (same size I had) off the rack, I could not believe how HUGE it was!
I honestly assumed it was mislabeled. Then I looked at the small...it was a
bit smaller, but I realized it was the fit that had changed. It's like it
lost all shape and became a trash bag with holes in it. I realize baggy fit
was in for a while, but never really associated that with outdoor apparel.
So it seems I'll have to find an old one if I want the same thing. Ugh.

This got me thinking about cycling specific clothing and how (or if) it's
changed. For the most part the lycra set has remained unchanged...tight and
stretchy is tight and stretchy. But my interest was with styles closer to
and specifically Rivendell type items. I noticed a couple of the new
clothing items have specifically undergone a "slimming" recently and
mentioned as requested. Not that I saw any of their clothes as baggy per
say, but more relaxed. I'm fairly normal 5'8" @ 145lbs so I tend to skirt
the small/medium in the MUSA range depending on cut. SO for me a slimmer
cut is fine and will most likely fit as intended. But then I know some of
the older wool jerseys were more traditionally form fitting. My medium
Seersucker fits a little loose in the body, but the collar and sleeves are
spot on. Same with the Railroad shirt. Interestingly I have a couple pair
of old MUSA shorts in size XL! that work fine on my 32 waist. Weird.

I've been biking since about 88 and realized that aside from the lycra, all
my casual cycling gear has been purchased based on the same fit. Room
enough to move, but never baggy. That has worked no matter what type of
riding I'm doing.

All that brought me to thinking about bike fit and sizing too. There has
been lots of discussion on the RBW vs. conventional types of fitting and
it's probably safe that if you're here you at least in part agree with the
former. But then it seems RBW fitting has evolved over time too. Looking at
the first All Rounder it was clearly not a bars above the saddle fit. The
head tubes got taller, then up sloping top tubes, and newly designed bars
to go even higher. I wonder if it will keep going up?

Do you find yourself wishing that a certain era of "fit" had frozen in time
or do you tend to like the evolving nature of it? Like my Patagonia fleece,
I'm disappointed they changed it as it seemed like a perfect design to ME.
But then I'm very happy that the fatter tire revolution seems to be gaining
steam.