Ventile (and similar) cotton is essentially hand-made fabric, involving
painstaking detail from selecting the cotton and to setting up the weaving
process; hence the high cost.  It IS indeed nice stuff (if you can afford
it).  But because of the high cost, I have to think of Ventile as being
like really special bicycle tubing, which by itself is nice, but is really
only as good as the finished product.  And so when I finally bite the
bullet and plop down many hundreds on a Ventile jacket, it better have
everything I want in a jacket, because I'm literally gonna sleep in this
baby.... Hood, waist drawstring, pockets galore, plenty of room for under
layers, and a certain all-round style, ... all these things gotta be just
right.  It's nice to see Riv making a quality jacket like this, and there
are already some really nice Ventile jackets out there already (at similar
prices) being sold by Wiggy's, Howies, Hilltrek, etc...

And there are other materials (like wool and conventional cotton) that can
serve most of my needs.... but I will be saving my pennies for a fine
cotton jacket... one day.