Anne-

I have a lightweight steel rigid MTB ('88 Schwinn Project KOM-10) and a
front suspended Al MTB ('06 Cannondale F400).

The rigid Schwinn can do almost anything the FS Cannondale can.  But for
technical single track with obstacles, log crossings, etc, the FS
Cannondale is much more forgiving of my riding mistakes.  I can land a jump
or hop on the Cannondale that would cause me to biff on the rigid MTB.  A
more experienced off-roader could probably pull off the rigid bike on
technical singletrack, but I appreciate the head shock in these situations.

That said, the rigid steel Schwinn rides more sweetly on smooth surfaces.
 I use the FS bike for off-road only, and the rigid Schwinn has been made
into a great townie bike.

Tim