Addison:

I ride a Niner MCR, which is built from Reynolds 853 steel (quality
thin-walled, lively steel that gives a superior ride).  The Specialized
Crave has an aluminum frame with a carbon fork.  I'd venture a guess that
this is geared mostly towards MTB racing (light, stiff and no doubt fast).
Personally I would stay clear of rigid aluminum and definitely away from
carbon. On the other hand if you weigh less than 175 lbs, you might not
share the same concerns (about harsh ride and fear of catastrophic failure)
as I.  But honestly, given the impressive list of steel bikes you've owned,
why not stick with steel?... There are some great ones out there (including
the Hunq, BTW). The MCR is no longer built, but the Niner SIR9 offers SS
and geared configs in a single frame, along with that legendary steel feel.

BB