Up vote that. Finished cables in that way at the shop, then put the end
caps on delicately (CPSC compliant). Those were the MTB heydays and there
was a 60% chance a newly, carefully, built bike would be back in a week or
two after being heavily used off-road and in need of cable/housing cleaning
to return shifting and braking functions. Pop the lightly placed end caps
off and the cables strip out of housings and can be fed back through them
like butter. Our free first month of service could tolerate easily cleaning
things up but not replacing cables and housings.

On mine, after the solder I shape the soldered ends to blunted round
end  with a fine file for greatest ease of feed into the housings. They
won't poke you for blood if you brush against the end either.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh