Is your typical generic brake or derailleur cable today stainless steel? I
mean the ones that come in bulk packaging.

Shoe Goo: I like that idea; anyone care to post a photo of the final
product?

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Benz, Sunnyvale, CA
<benzouy...@gmail.com>wrote:

> It is possible to solder stainless if you use the right flux. Look for
> stainless-specific flux; they usually contain zinc chloride and
> hydrochloric acid (read: ensure adequate ventilation). You'll want to fray
> out the individual strands a bit to clean them with alcohol or something
> similar before applying the flux, and you'll want to be careful with that
> flux since it's not the gentlest thing in the world.
>
> I still occasionally solder my (stainless) cable ends. In fact, for the
> cantilever straddle cable ends, I usually put a dollop of solder (i.e.,
> excess) at the end to make a "bulb" (like a spring onion!) so that it's
> easier to grab ahold of. It's a nice conversation piece for the keen eyes.
>

> On Monday, December 30, 2013 7:26:53 AM UTC-8, George Schick wrote:
>>
>> The comment about unsolder-able stainless cables replacing the old
>> galvanized ones is spot on.  I used to like to solder mine, too - can't do
>> it any more, though.  However, I do like the idea of placing a small piece
>> of heat shrink on the ends - never thought about doing that before, but
>> it's a good one.
>>

>> On Monday, December 30, 2013 5:31:35 AM UTC-6, Michael Glaser wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm a huge fan of old school mechanics techniques, but the reason that
>>> no one solders cables anymore is that stainless has all but displaced
>>> galvanized steel for cables on nicely-spec'd bikes.  And apart from being
>>> able to take solder, galvanized cables have nothing on good quality
>>> stainless cables when it comes to smoothness and longevity.
>>>
>>  --

Burque (NM)

Resumes that get interviews:
http://www.resumespecialties.com/