Most changes based on comfort.
First thing was a Unicanitor saddle on my old Raleigh because it looked
good and I could ride it then.  The desire was a go-fast bike within a
student budget.   Then killed the spined crank on my old Raleigh climbing
to my apartment in south Austin.  Bought parts at the co-op bike shop where
racers sold the parts they won, and replaced it with a Sugino Mighty Comp.
 Had s set of wheels built on Zeus hubs with Rigida 1320 rims and 1" tires,
tighter 5-sp sprocket, Shimano 600 RD (190g, still one of the lightest and
most reliable road RD ever made), and threw in Zeus shifters and gum-hood
brake levers (getting rid of the old Weinmann safety levers) - the wheels
changed the nature of the bike, and kept me riding it a long time.  It was
fast.
As I got older eased up to 1-1/8" tires and softer saddles - Concor then
Terry.
Finally couldn't get comfortable on the long GB stem and Maes bend drops.
 After finding Rivendell whet for a moustache cockpit rebuild, B-17,
bar-end shifter pods, and found a new level of comfort.  6-speed rear,
Half-step chainring in the front then found a cyclotouriste triple with
half steps and escape to make the bike more versatile.  Rivved out with
fenders and front rack/bags.  Most recently new wheels, finally 700c,
7-speed rear, and back to 32mm tires.  Still riding the bike after 38
years.
After getting back in shape was ready for a go-fast and built my Moser,
though with (moderately) tall Nitto stem and Cinelli dream bars.
Don't have the budget for a Rivendelll for a few more years, but it's high
on my want list.
It's going to be versatile and big tires.