My first  “real” bike was a red Sears 3 speed with upright bars (I was 10).  I
took them off immediately and replaced them with drops, wrapped in lime green
semi-transparent plastic tape.  I thought it was the shit.  Rode it to school 3
years running every day, 6th through 8th grade.  It was stolen from the school
bike rack (we didn’t lock our bikes way back in the Paleozoic Era), and I
didn’t replace it – a drivers’ license didn’t seem that far away at that point,
and anyway my high school was much farther away than my junior high school.

So: a 7 year bike hiatus, through college graduation.  But during my senior
year my girlfriend and I were planning a post-graduation summer bike tour in
Europe (summer of 1974) and I needed a bike, so I bought a Fuji S10-S on a bike
shop recommendation (a very smart bike shop, as it turned out – that was a
wonderful bike for the price).  I rode it all over England and France, 75 to
100 miles a day, for 3 months (by myself – the g/f broke up with me right
before we were going to leave!), after not having ridden a bike for 7 years.
(Oh, to be that young and flexible again!)  I think I put something like 4000
miles on that bike that summer.

Brought it back to Philadelphia for law school, where it was promptly stolen.
(Unlike my Sears bike, it was locked – I don’t know how the thief got it.)
Anyway, I replaced it with a Raleigh Super Grand Prix in 1975.  Rode that bike
to and from school for two years, then basically hung it up for almost 25
years, until one of my sons wanted it (interestingly, to use as a commuter bike
in Philadelphia – he rode it every day for 3 years until the top tube cracked
at the headtube lug).

Hanging up the Raleigh led to two decades of no riding at all.  In the late
‘90s, I bought an aluminum Trek hybrid (a 7600) to ride around on at the beach
in New Jersey.  A few hundred miles a summer, max.  But it reminded me how much
I enjoyed being out on a bike, and led to the next stage.

In 2005, I decided I was getting too sedentary, and thought I’d try to commute
to work on the Trek.  I did that for a year until I had a bad crash, and ruined
the front wheel on the Trek (in addition to, temporarily, several of my ribs,
my collarbone, and my wrist).  Interestingly, though, the crash just made me
more determined to keep up with my commute, and also to try to begin to learn
more about how bikes worked, and what makes a good bike.  Investigating the
latter point, I stumbled on the Rivendell website (2006).  I saw the Bombadil
(then in prototype), and fell in love with its appearance, which reinforced my
instincts that the Riv way was mostly the right way, for me.  I bought a
Bombadil shortly thereafter, and Rivendells and the Riv way of looking at
biking has dominated my approach ever since.  Since then, I’ve had 11 Rivendell
bikes, and built or rebuilt most of them; I’ve passed on three of them to
family members, but still have the others.  I’ve probably built up another 15
bikes in that period – most of those have been passed on as well, either to
family and friends or as contributions to charity auctions, which I enjoy.

So it took me many years, but biking is again an important part of my life, and
Rivendell has been an important part of the inspiration for that.