I ran your code in R 2.8.0 and it worked  (did not crash
but it ptobably also did not do what you wanted.
Please explain what you want.

Did you install the version of rcom compiled for R-2.8.0?
Did you run
comRegisterRegistry() after installing the new version?

--
Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science