looks very nice; I love the coil spring set-up.  How did you go about
deciding your spring rate?  Did you just estimate the total weight of the
vehicle and divide that by 16?  Did you plan for specific ground clearance
when fully loaded?  (I'm asking  because I'm about to plan out a suspension
and would like others' thought processes)

Thanks

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Modena <b...@holnet.net> wrote:

> the preload is adjustable - the top spring seat can be brought lower
> by adding washers which have a larger diameter than the spring
> diameter, this compresses the spring more before adding load, and
> similarly you can add large washers to the lower spring seat to
> "raise" the bottom of the spring.
>
> as it "stands" it has 75mm of ground clearance, I have stood on it,
> and it takes my weight without fully compressing (remember there are
> 16 of those suckers)
>
> piling on 25kg of lead weigh (without me as well) t brought it down
> less than 1cm
>
> I cant be any more precise until I now the battle ready weight, and
> that is way off
>

> On Jan 12, 8:50 am, Mike Måne <mike082...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I meant the vertical travel. I'm just trying to get ideas for my Newbie
> > Sherman.
> >
> > Another question: With 1.5" - 2" of space, with the springs you used
> > combined with the weight of your tank, how much do you think the
> suspension
> > will flex with the tank immobile? In other word, how far down will the
> body
> > push down on the springs with all its weight---that is, if it does at
> all.
> > The reason why I ask is because I am wondering how one could adjust the
> > spring strength (without buying new ones) in case the weight of the
> vehicle
> > must change.
> >
> > Thanks and good work,
> > -
> >

> > On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Modena <b...@holnet.net> wrote:
> >
> > > you mean lateral flex parallel to the ground? its all adjusted pretty
> > > exact with nyloc nuts, there's about 0.5" of space between the lower
> > > chassis rail and the closest piece of the suspension arm
> >
> > > if you mean total travel of the suspension perpendicular to the
> > > ground, 1.5" is about it, it can go to 2" but we get some serious
> > > spring deformation

> > > wheel
> flex

> and