Joker wrote:
> Not to hijack or anything, but wouldn't adding those two switchs just
> give you 'full on' or 'full off' in either direction?

Yep.  But that's all that is needed when using a low RPM geared motor
for a rotate system.  Cheap, powerful, simple, effective and reliable
... hard to beat that combination.  Of course, if you want to spend more
money for a more complex and less reliable proportional speed control,
you can add that if you want.  Simply replace the servo/switches by the
speed control (keep the servo/switches in your field box, because
eventually you'll be putting them back in the vehicle when the speed
controller starts acting up.)

When it comes to servo motors, a hacked servo simply won't have enough
torque or reliability for rotating a fully equipped turret.  Hacked
servos are great for kiddie toys and table-top robotics, but our tanks
are at least an order of magnitude larger than such things.  (The one
thing you learn in the science and engineering world is to respect
orders of magnitude.) We're talking about quite a few pounds of weight
in the turret alone being tossed around by various dynamic forces on the
battlefield (including the inertia of 100+ pounds when you run into
something) and the rotate motor has to handle such loads many, many
times in a single battle, let alone over many years of battling.

Just keep one thing in mind:  No veteran battler has ever been sorry
because they over-engineered any of their tank systems.

        Frank P.