Modena wrote:
> could I have something configured wrong? Or can the ESC not handle
> (provide) those severe slow speeds?

> just to add, my drive wheel diameter is 16cm from outer edge of track
>  pads, which if I assume the M01's can turn 350rpm at load, is 5.9MPH
>  top speed

It never hurts to keep reminding people that "speed kills" :-)

If you've geared your tank to go 6 MPH, then it will have a harder time
moving the tank from a dead stop and turning, both of which require
power, not speed.  So, when the ESC is trying to drive the motor at low
speeds, the motors can't generate enough power to get started, so they
sit there and heat up.  Eventually, when you overcome the static forces
with enough power, the tank starts moving, the power can be converted to
speed and the tank starts racing along.  In short, you've sacrificed low
end performance for high end performance.

If, however, you gear the system so that it provides at most 4 MPH, for
example, then you'll lose 50% of the top end speed, but you'll pick up
*twice* the power at all speed levels.  That is, it will start and turn
more efficiently, thereby putting less strain on the system and allowing
you to travel at lower speeds.  Gear down the drive train even more and
you can easily get the tank to crawl along as slow as you want.  Through
trial and error, you must balance the system to suit your needs and the
laws of physics.

After 20 years of R/C combat (warships and tanks), I've come to the
conclusion that maneuvering (e.g., starting, stopping, turning) is far
more important than speed, which is why I gear down more often than up.
  Of course, other schools of thought also exist ... which is why we
battle :-)

BTW: How much does your tank weigh when battle ready?

        Frank P.