A postcard from Chelmsford
Date stamp: 11 July 2009

Dear Auntie Ethel

It’s me, Unfortunate Eric! This weekend I met some nice men in a field
who said they were “tankers”. I thought they were so nice I opened a
new page in my diary headed “Nice Men I Have Met” and wrote in their
names:

Mr Chris. He has a Challenger. I think the challenge is to think it is
a tank. It has lights at the front so you can see if it is turned on.
Mr Pete says it looks like a frog with a rucksack. Mr Pete has a Sense
of Humour.

Mr Pete has a Valentine. I think his girlfriend must have sent it to
him. I prefer flowers. It looks like a tank with no tracks. He showed
me the tracks. They were very nice, but I don’t think they’ll go round
unless he sticks them on the tank. He says it is Mr Neil’s fault they
won’t go on the tank. Mr Neil does not agree. Mr Neil says all sorts
of things about Mr Pete, many of which you Would Not Like, Auntie. But
I think he likes him really.

Mr Neil. He says he has a Leopard, but I think it is a tank.

Mr James. He has a jeep, which he says is very fast, but he has
forgotten the controller. Silly Mr James! He is driving Mr Neil’s
other tank which is called a Marder. I said I thought the Spanish had
Armada. Mr James did not laugh.

Mr Phil. He has a Locust. Some people have silly pets.

They said they had another friend, Mr Marc, who has a Stug and could
not come. I think it sounds very painful.

The men said that they were having a battle and I could watch! Mr Phil
had brought a castle and said I could sit in one of the towers. Mr
Phil is very kind.

The men started their battle. First Mr Neil and Mr Pete fought
together while the others broke down. Then the others got fixed and
shot Mr Neil in the neck. Mr Neil said some more things you Would Not
Like, Auntie.

I will write again shortly.

Unfortunate Eric