I was am concerned about that too. Im worried that any rod light
enough to twist under load would bend with a good smack from the side.
I thought about threading the rods right into the swing arm so the arm
sits right up against the hull, that might help... or have the torsion
bar inside another axle. right now i'm experimenting with 5/8 tubing
axles, filled with grease, with hacksaw blade torsion bars inside...I
have another question though too. On the full scale Chaffee (and a lot
of tanks I think) the starboard road wheels sit farther forward than
the port ones, to allow the torsion bars to span the full with of the
hull. Would this cause any problems with steering/approach angle?

Thanks,
Ed