Well Ed,

Full scale torsion bars are not light, I can tell you this from experience.
Nor are they soft, they are in fact spring steel.  When they fail, they tend
to either sheer clean, or shatter.  I suspect that 1/6th scale torsion bars
would be best made from the same sort of material.

As for threading the live end, I doubt that you will be able to, spring
steel is pretty hard.  Full scale torsion bars are keyed or splined on the
ends.  If you can start with a softer steel and harden it after threading,
you'll be able to thread the ends.  Getting several torsion bars the same
spring rate would take practice, I would imagine.  You may want to put
left-handed threads on one side, so that gravity will help keep them tight.

As an alternative, I've seen pics of simulated torsion bars made with
torsion coil springs.  I'll see if I can find them later.

For now, I've attached a pic of a full scale Tiger I's torsion bar
arrangement.

The odd roadwheel alignment is a feature of torsion bar suspensions.  It
seems pretty strange at first and you would think it would cause all kinds
of problems.  It doesn't.  An M-88 (the one I'm most familiar with) has a
couple more track sections on one side. Think of the track as part of the
ground. Maybe a better example would be a road.  A road that the vehicle
lays in front of itself, then recovers.  Forward speed (or reverse) is not
affected at all.  Speed vs. input RPM is determined by the diameter of the
drive sprocket, rather than the track length.  You may find that it is
easier to turn one direction over another due to friction, but I doubt it.

Paul H.