*Bazooka Joe's Debut*

I had Bazooka Joe operational around 2am so I hit the sack for a few hours,
took care of a family commitment, and hit the road eager to put Joe into
action.  Two hours later I had gone about 3 miles (Washington area traffic
+ accident = gridlock) and eventually arrived after the first battle had
ended.

After sides had been picked (Joe was picked last, only fair for an unknown
quantity) the RCTC Rules Committee voted unanimously (1-0) to approve a
"one shot, one kill" rule for Joe.  I liked this idea as I couldn't imagine
how I would be able to get multiple shots loaded and fired against a mobile
tank.

As seen from our home
base<http://www.rctankcombat.com/battle-reports/BridgeTooFar/photos/DSC_0598-large.jpg>there
 was a
wide stone
bridge<http://www.rctankcombat.com/battle-reports/BridgeTooFar/photos/DSC_0591-large.jpg>on
 the left flank, a
narrow wooden
bridge<http://www.rctankcombat.com/battle-reports/BridgeTooFar/photos/DSC_0593-large.jpg>in
 the center, and a
shallow
ford<http://www.rctankcombat.com/battle-reports/BridgeTooFar/photos/DSC_0594-large.jpg>on
 the right.
The Navarone Gun was set up to cover the center bridge and I positioned Joe
in some broad-leafed plants on the right side of the stone bridge (on the
right edge of the photo).  On the far side the road went straight for about
5 yards then turned right.  There was a narrow goat track running parallel
to the stream on the far side, joining the road very close to the bridge.

There was a pot of gold in the center of the bridge so I took a few
practice shots to get an idea of the range.  This was the first time I had
fired a paintball from the assembled unit, and I was pleased to get in the
general area after a handful of shots.

When the battle started there was a lot of action in the center.  Joe
brought his Hetzer down to the bridge and collected the pot of gold with no
resistance.  After a few minutes Frank's Tiger came clanking along the road
from the rear right.  As he turned my way I lined up for a flanking shot –
it was straight but high by a couple of feet.  It's a lot harder to judge
the elevation on the short bazooka than on the long guns.  I reloaded
quickly but Frank was approaching front-on and I had no shot.  It didn't
take long for him to score the first hit ever on an armed infantryman,
knocking Joe' helmet flying.  I only found it while cleaning up at the end
of the day, about 3 feet from this position.

Later Frank approached more cautiously, creeping through the long grass
between the road and the goat track.  Again I had no shot as he presented
only his front.  He landed a nice shot from about 15 feet away.

After reincarnating again I moved Joe across the bridge to the junction of
the road and the track.  Things were quiet for a while so I tried a couple
of long shots into the area behind the center bridge.  I didn't hit
anything (too high again) but it sure caused confusion for the enemy
commanders over there.  It also attracted the attention of the Cromwell.  Steve
worked his way along the goat track and showed me only a brief side shot
for a moment - I took the shot but was wide by a few inches.  While I tried
to reload the Cromwell raced up and blew Joe away.

After being killed by Frank yet again (and accidentally hitting him square
in the chest – sorry!), there was a long time with no action (I later
learned most of my comrades were in the repair shop).  I relocated to the
enemy's side of the battlefield, setting up close to the big tree shown
here<http://www.rctankcombat.com/battle-reports/BridgeTooFar/photos/DSC_0602-large.jpg>
.  Doug's Tiger was circling Turncoat Tyng's Cromwell about 30 feet away.  I
took my time to line up a shot and splattered Doug's rear – one shot, one
kill!  A successful debut, breaking even on combat points and sharing in a
small number of mission points for a net positive result.