On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:06:50 PM UTC-4, TyngTech wrote:

> Believe it or not, I'm the first guy to install ESC's into one of our
> tanks.  The landmark Tyng T34-85 T005 to be exact.

Tovarisch Tyng,

Let us recall history correctly.  The Dread T34-85 T005 was the first
of our tanks to carry a commercial ESC.  Hetzer T010 was actually
the first to carry an ESC with mixing, linear/exponential speed control and
programmable deadband provided by a PIC and eight optically isolated
D1D40 SSRs.  It was custom-built by gnomes in the silicon foundry
at Anvilus Machine Works.  That sad, arcane, feature-deprived ESC
only worked for ten years before it fried.

BTW - Who custom built the first microprocessor relay speed controller
for the T34 only one week before the first battle?

To offer my two cents - my graduate students and I have used a wide
variety of ESCs for research on unmanned ground vehicles (UGVs).  Our
favorite by far is the Roboteq HDC2450 which is typically too expensive
for hobbyists.  For smaller cheaper vehicles, my students were enamored
with Sabertooth 2x25 and 2x60 ESCs for about a year.  However some
nasty failures and occasional "twitchy" behavior have led us back to using
two Talons with an IMX-1 mixer.  Personally, I liked the exponential
throttle
function on the Sabertooth for my Hetzer because the gun is aimed by
skid-steering.  However I fried one channel of a 2x60 and went back to
Talons/IMX-1 for modular repairability.

Kent Massey performed current draw tests on my Hetzer several years
ago when he was using it as a military UGV prototype.  He measured
up to 60A during skid turns in tall thick grass and the Hetzer only weighs
about 80 pounds.  Consequently, I will be interested to see if Loic's 30A
fuses survive in really nasty terrain where Frank's old decrepit Tiger T001
likes to hide.

In my opinion, recent discussion about current draw and temperature
degradation of FETs in Talons is moot.  They are well designed and
eminently capable of handling high current and high temperature.

Conversely, I believe that the key issue for survivability of an ESC in
our hobby is the ability to withstand inductive voltage spikes created
by sudden reversal of the motors.  My old home-made ESC survived so
long because it used an open H-bridge (Coast, not Brake) and had
industrial SSRs with significant inductive surge protection needed for
industrial actuators.  FETs are notoriously susceptible to failure by
inductive voltage spikes.

It will interesting to see how many of our tankers use the Brake versus
Coast function on their Talons, and if we see more failures for one or the
other.

Joe