FET absolute maximum current rating is not the point here. Of course they
are rated for over 60 amps. Theres a key difference between transient and
continuous loading.

The issue is that those same fets derate rapidly with heat; you might get
160+ amps at 20 degrees, but it goes down very fast as they get hot, which
in turn happens very fast if you have a small heat sink like the Talons do.
At 40 amps none of this is an issue; at 60 the small heatsink is a concern
and at 100 its a fatal flaw.

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Loic atFOA <foaadd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use x4 Talon SR
> http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com/product_p/foa-talonsr.htm (shameless
> plug!) on both FOA Tiger I <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyqYxMlUvg>and
> Panzer
> IV <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJhG2f55sOA>. I have been running
> those tanks A LOT for the last few months. I have a 30Amp fuse on each
> motor. Never blown a fuse.
>
> I should make notice that the Tiger I is about 140 lbs, and Pz.IV is about
> 110 lbs. I think weight is critical as to the amp draw to the motors. I
> would also assume that friction is also critical (i.e bushings, bearings,
> track design)
>
> As Steve noted above, I also talked to Mike (the designer of the Talon)
> and he doubts we go over 20 amps on normal operating conditions (continuous
> run for 39 min @ 4 mph, going over curbs, donuts on high grass, climbed
> small hills). He deals with ROBOTS that fight like Sumo Wrestlers. When two
> robots go against each others, it sure could spike your amp usage. That's
> what Talon's are built for!
>
> Loic
> http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com
>
> --
> --
> You are currently subscribed to the "R/C Tank Combat" group.
> "R/C Tank Combat" group.
> email to rctankcombat+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

Isaac Goldman
5142334423