On Friday, May 23, 2014 11:46:45 AM UTC-4, RocketMan wrote:

> Has anybody else had bad experiences with Talons ? They seemed like a
> good, cost effective, alternative.
> I've been using the same two Victor 883's for six years without an issue.
> They are a little high priced but are very tough.
>
> Doug,

I would not classify this as a "bad experience".  Please
remember that the Hetzer is driven very hard by a crazy
man.  She must be steered to aim her gun.

In my opinion, Talons are still the most cost effective solution
for our tanks.  I simply wanted people to know that they are
not indestructible.

I read some more details about the improved Talon SR.  I believe
that the new "Synchronous Sign Magnitude Rectification" in the
SR should be more robust for sudden motor reversal than the
old "Locked Antiphase Rectification" in the Talons that I fried.
We shall see if the Hetzer fries Talon SRs in future battles.

Exponential throttle response (versus linear) would also help
this sudden reversal problem.  Perhaps someday Cross the
Road Electronics with introduce a Talon SR with an exponential
throttle option.

Joe