I'm guessing attachment chain is designed with ready bolt holes?  Sounds
like it would be a bit more expensive, people wouldn't use it as much.  As
for the "skip tooth" IIRC it's best just made--cut out the desired teeth by
whatever method you care for.

I'm planning on a modified chain track system--two chains on each belt, and
wooden treads just screwed on.  The big difference was instead of friction
drive, I was going to cut sprockets that actually engage the treads.  It'll
take some math, and without modeling software some trial and error, but it
shouldn't be terribly difficult to get the sprocket right.  This gives the
reliability of a sprocket drive, without the mess of dealing with modifying
sprockets or any of that.  You could also do something similar with the
larger roller chain down the middle, using sprockets on the treads instead
of the chain to drive it.