Hello -

We've had a few discussions regarding brushed vs brushless motors. The most
important point I remember was that brushed and brushless ran at similar
energy efficiencies under load. I'm wondering about efficiency with respect
to size and weight.

Let's compare this brushless motor

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?
<http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWY0&P=7> &I=LXLWY0&P=7

to this brushed motor

http://www.andymark.com/CIM-motor-FIRST-p/am-0255.htm

Both are in the 300 watt range. At 12v, the unloaded brushless motor,
rotates at 32k rpm and the brushed motor at 5.3k rpm. Of course, the
brushless motor would need a lot more gearing to make it usable in a tank.
That aside, could I expect roughly the same performance from both motors ?
It's hard for to believe that because the brushless motor is 1/14 of the
brushed motor weight and 1/7 of the volume.

Is there another factor (besides cost) I need to take into account when
comparing a brushed to a brushless motor ?

                Thanks,

                Doug