I would have to recommend a  pair of switching transistor circuits, such
that reversing polarity causes a reverse direction, similar to how you
would use them with say an arduino or similar microcontroller, this I
believe might better describe what I'm trying to convey:
https://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/lessons/electronics/transistors-relays-and-controlling-high-current-loads/