Thank you all for your reply on this matter, it has got more complicated
than I had considered, i was hoping that there was a 12v relay that is
triggered with 3-4v coil out there on the market. I successfully tested a
separate small 3v motor off the electronics that come with this toy and
that works 100% but linking a 12v relay and nothing happens. I think I`ll
try it next with 6v relays that I have seen .
 I dont think this toy so sophisticated to have PWM ability. it was so
cheap ( £40.00 for the pair ) that I thought it was worth a look.
Thanks for everybody's input.

Neil