-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of J. McRee Elrod
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:11 PM
To: RDA-L@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Measuring quality of cataloguing

Jenn Riley said:

.The fairly substantial body of literature on cataloging quality tends
>to define "quality" as "conforming to cataloging rules." I'd like to
>see much more work in this area that defines quality as something
>closer to "allows user x to do y ...

Here we define quality as adherence to the item being described, both
in terms of accurate transcription and in terms of truthful subject
analysis in class number and heading(s).

This is one reason I am so opposed to substituting uninverted prime
entry for statement of responsibility.  The prime entry may bear no
obvious relationship to anything on the item, getting in the way of
item identification.  It seems to me accurate identification must be
at the root of whatever user x might want to do.  Given accurate
records, there are all sorts of things which could be done with them.

   __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([EMAIL PROTECTED])