Quoting Karen Coyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Interesting, you've got 3 stories about our title capitalization
practice and none are the story that 1 got, which was that some
infinitesimal amount of time and effort were saved by not having to
press the shift key so much.  Since this practice now makes us
non-standard with the rest of the English speaking universe (CCO
encourages title case, for example), i was disappointed to see that
RDA continued it.  I do spend some time copying and pasting titles,
and then "fixing" the capitalization (though i admit, sometimes i
don't bother in notes, especially since title case is more readable in
that context), and it seems to me that's a much bigger waste of
cataloger time than pressing hte shift key!

Greta de Groat
Stanford University Libraries

As a simple example, I've been going around asking people this question:

Why do libraries not use title case for titles?

I've never gotten the same answer twice. This is something that we've
done for decades (I haven't found the first time that rule was given --
somewhere between Cutter and AACRI). Presumably we do this to make
something better, but what is that thing?

Here are some of the answers I have gotten:
- It's the same as all of the citation rules (no, it's not; some use
title case for journal titles, but sentence case for article and book
titles).
- It's easier than following the title page title (? easier? You have to
figure out which are the proper names, and in multiple languages)
- It makes for more uniform display in the catalog (this one makes
sense, but to me isn't a deal breaker)

So here's something very basic and very simple, and all I want to do is
connect to a reason that "facilitates access to materials." Once we
figure out that reason we can also begin to think about "is it worth the
effort?"

kc

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.kcoyle.net