One more: To the extent that we continue to exchange large quantities of
records (and in the absence of universally known, shared identifiers for
all items), accurate and consistently created descriptions based on shared
rules make it more likely that systems can match, merge, and/or FRBRize
records correctly.

Our institutions want to be able to accept cataloging of pretty much any
quality from any source AND also want automated processes to do
increasingly intelligent things with that cataloging without human review
or intervention. I do worry that those are not mutually compatible desires.
OCLC's intention to release some public documentation of their duplicate
detection programs (yay!) is one helpful step in developing a common
understanding of where consistent cataloging practices really benefit us all.

--Robin

At 10:17 AM 1/23/2008 -0800, you wrote:
Jenn said:

>We have to be more specific than "facilitate access" - what
>real-world discovery needs do we know about that will be affected by
>a record that doesn't meet this quality metric?

If the information in the record does not accurately reflect the
information on the item, duplicate orders and duplicate bibliographic
records will result.  If the bibliographic record does not match the
scholarly citation, faculty and students will not find the items whey
wish.

If the class number, subject heading(s) and genre heading(s) do not
accurately reflect the subject and form of the item, patrons will be
hampered in retrieval by shelf browsing or catalogue search.

>We're no longer at the point where we can afford to say that
>correctness is an end unto itself -

Where the item can not be examined by the naked eye, correctness is
even more important than for print material which can be looked at.
Remote electronic resources, pdf files for example, need an accurate
statement of extent in 300 so the patron will know whether s/he wishes
to devote the time to downloading, or has the computer space to
accommodate, the resource.

   __       __   J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([EMAIL PROTECTED])