Greta wrote...

...Jane can finally gets down to the manifestation:
Place of Publication: Beverly Hills, Calif.
Publisher: Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Date: 2007
Media type: DVD;
Other technical characteristics: NTSC, all region, full frame, choice
of Dolby 5.1 or stereo for the music track (uh oh, Jane wonders if
these constitue different expressions, but decides not to think about
it abd just lets this pass).
Extent: 2 videodiscs : sd., b&w, 4 3/4 in.

--------------------------------

I wonder if, in addition to the music tracks, a couple other pieces of
information (aspect ratio, sound, color) ought not to be at the
expression level because if they changed it would be a change in content
(or at least that's how I'm reading Martha's book chapter at
http://repositories.cdlib.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6113&context=p
ostprints)

I also tend to think, although I don't know if it makes sense to model
it here, that in practice it would be far easier for most moving image
situations, especially DVDs, to only created explicit expression-level
records for what I think of as "named expressions" or things like
director's cut, theatrical release, or unrated version, although there
are many variations that we'll never have the info to track (what
cataloger is going to track down the real differences among all the Star
Wars video releases, even though we know that what you buy on DVD now is
not necessarily the same as what you saw in the theater in 1977).

There are just too many dimensions to the typical moving image
expression to make it efficient to create and later search for and link
to individual expression records for everything. It would seem to me
more practical to explicitly code the relevant expression-level
characteristics that lend themselves to standardized coding (things like
language info, aspect ratio, color, and sound) in the manifestation
records and have the computer collocate the expression level display on
the fly.

Kelley McGrath