Wait, if they do a remake of the film, isn't that the same work (but a
different expression)?

For that matter, isn't every film version of Hamlet all part of the same
work ("Hamlet"), but differnet expressions (with different actors?)

To me, you are confusing work and expression. Seems to me they remake a
different film version of the same _work_ not infrequently.  It doesn't
need to even be the exact same script to be the same _work_, does it?

Jonathan

McGrath, Kelley C. wrote:
Greta wrote...

Scenario 3.

And I hate to be a broken record, but in films Actors would be
associated with the work, not the expression.  They are not going to
reshoot the film with different actors. (ok, in case anybody knows
about them, i'm ignoring the early talkie films which were
simultaneously shot in different language versions with casts that are
sometimes the same, sometimes different--they are borderline cases.  I
would not consider the shot for shot remake of Psycho a borderline case)

Diane,

Thanks for changing the actors. I would also like to thank you for
modeling your moving image scenario on Martha Yee's chapter rather than
what has been in the RDA drafts to date. So far the RDA drafts have been
rather at odds with the way the other OLAC (Online Audiovisual
Catalogers) reviewers and I would have thought of moving image works
(leaving aside the potentially messy question of recordings of live
performances of previously existing works) and have put not only actors,
but directors, cinematographers, and producers at the expression level.
This is true even in the fairly recent draft appendix dealing with roles
(http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/jsc/docs/5lc11.pdf). Or perhaps you
know something I don't about future RDA directions?

Kelley McGrath

--
Jonathan Rochkind
Digital Services Software Engineer