Weinheimer Jim wrote:
This report concludes that consistency is not worthwhile, and I think
this paragraph (p. 17) sums it up quite well.
"At the other end of the spectrum is metadata of judgement. In
traditional cataloguing practice this is often called analytic
cataloguing; it involves the description of an item's 'aboutness' the
assigning of controlled vocabulary terms or classification numbers.
This sort of metadata is highly subjective and very expensive to
create since it usually requires subject and/or metadata experts
(cataloguers). Moreover, it is extremely dependent on the intended
audience of the metadata. One person who is describing an item for a
learning objects repository may assign one set of terms, and another
person describing the same item for a subject repository may describe
it another way. Same item. Different experts. Different audience.
Different metadata values. Given the expense and nature of this type
of content, we believe it is not feasible to expect consistency with
regard to metadata of judgement, except perhaps where it occurs in a
tightly controlled, narrow and consistent environment such as a
database of drug trials."

I interpret this statement differently than you do. Nowhere does the
report say that consistency is not "worthwhile" -- this is a study of
consistency, not the value of subject headings. Their conclusion, as you
quote above, is that consistency is unlikely across a broad spectrum of
metadata, especially between different communities. (Remember, this is a
report about repositories, not libraries, so we aren't talking MARC
records or AACR or even LCSH.) Since the question of consistency in this
report has to do with record sharing, they are pointing out that some
areas of the record are less likely to be consistent than others. They
aren't advocating AGAINST consistency, IMO.

Later, on p. 20 we read
"brief judgemental records are the domain of humans (and maybe
computers) but the content will often be thin and inconsistent;
fuller and judgemental records are too labour intensive for all but
clearly defined situations where ongoing costs have been accurately
estimated and benefits are considered to outweigh them; and computer
technology is not yet at a stage to replace human effort in this regard."

So, what have we learned here? Subject analysis by catalogers is very
expensive (presumably because they make too much money), and they
don’t do their jobs very well. Therefore, subject analysis is not
worthwhile. Although retaining controlled vocabulary apparently is
worthwhile.

Again, no statement in the report about "worthwhile." That's your term.
An admission that it's expensive, that we don't have a good cost/benefit
ratio, and yet there is no way to automate this function. I think this
is no news at all.

I think you've mis-interpreted the report, Jim.

kc

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.kcoyle.net