I was struck by one point Diane made about the future:

"But consistency in terms of what terms we choose to assign is not likely to be as important in future as it has been in our current sharing environment (which assumes that there is a "master record" that all will use in the same way in a similar kind of system).... If we also consider that in a more open data world there is no longer a real necessity to consider multiple descriptions of the same item a problem (the information can be aggregated in a number of ways, for instance),..."

I was struck by this, because one current trend in cataloging moving to the so-called network level. That is, instead of each library maintaining its own catalog and just taking copies of shared records to catalog and maintain locally, we will truly share one big catalog and avoid doing duplicative work at the local level. This goes beyond cooperative cataloging as we now know it.

The example I am thinking of is WorldCat Local. It is a shared public catalog, with relatively few tweaks and customization available to individual libraries, and a common search and data platform that all share. This is a case where the master record in fact becomes more important than ever.

OCLC does not yet have a way to make institutional bib records (i.e., the locally customized versions of master records) available for search and discovery. Though they are pursuing ways of making some kinds of local data available in local holdings records, this solution will not extend to basic bibliographic fields in the master records in the foreseeable future. And WorldCat Local cannot provide help like cross-references for controlled vocabularies, partly because it is difficult to envision how to implement that in a database that contains so many different controlled vocabularies.

I don't live in a world where multiple descriptions and controlled vocabularies are not be a problem. Not yet, anyway. So I understand any nervousness about committing to a wholly new direction without being able to see how it will really work. (And I have to say, I haven't been following this thread very carefully at all. I just happened to see Diane's remarks on multiple descriptions and was struck by the contrast between her vision and our more immediate future.)

Diana Brooking             (206) 685-0389
Cataloging Librarian       (206) 685-8782 fax
Suzzallo Library           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Washington
Box 352900
Seattle WA  98195-2900