> Three years or so ago I thought, "finally the significance of what
> authority data can do for improving data management is understood" but
more
> recently it seems to have been lost in the dust. I would add to
Bernhard and
> Jim's comments that the rules governing the construction of authority
data
> for automated management are long overdue. Too much of the data and
rules
> are designed for human intervention. So much of the focus in current
> discussions is on bibliographic records rather than authority records,
which is
> really backwards. A name authority record should have as much data as
possible
> on a person. Ideally, all known works should be added to a name
record, with
> additions over time. The relationship to the work should be provided
> (author, director, actor, performer, etc.). Birth and death dates, and
> other identifying information should all be provided in a manner to
help
> identify other outside resources like online biography sources.
>
> Mary L. Mastraccio
> Cataloging & Authorities Librarian
> MARCIVE, Inc.
> San Antonio Texas 78265
> 1-800-531-7678
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks for highlighting this Mary. I hope the following makes sense (and
is correct!)

I think this is absolutely correct, and chimes extremely well with the
work that Karen, Diane et al. have been doing with RDA - the realisation
is that what is true for Author's or Subject's is true for other
(possibly less complex) aspects of metadata.

Even with something as simple as 'physical description', can benefit
from a separation between the metadata record and the detail of the
physical description.

For example, if we consider 300$b (other physical details), which maps
to a number of RDA elements, including 'Production Method'
(http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/jsc/docs/5rda-parta-ch3rev.pdf, p.26
in doc not as numbered). Karen, Diane et al. have created a relevant
vocabulary at http://metadataregistry.org/vocabulary/show/id/33.html -
click on 'Concepts' tab to see the list of values. So, rather than
inserting the 'literal' value "lithograph" into 300$b, these
vocabularies open up the possibility of linking to
http://RDVocab.info/termLIst/RDAproductionMethod/1007 - which is the URI
for the term "lithograph". RDA refers to this as a 'non-literal value
surrogate' - this comes from the language of Dublin Core Metadata
Initiative, but basically means that you point at the value using a URI,
rather than the use of the literal string 'lithograph' (or whatever) as
we do with MARC.

As with using Authority files for Author's etc. this use of separated
vocabularies opens up the possibility of saying more about lithographs -
what they are, alternative terms, translations etc.

A weakness of MARC21 is that it doesn't make use of the reference to the
Authority record into the metadata record - we rely on 'literals' too
much - making it more difficult to ensure consistency, make changes, or
draw into our indexing information not held directly in the MARC record.

I have to admit that I my understanding of RDA gets a bit hazy at this
point, but from what I can see it also treats elements such as 'Creator'
as non-literal value surrogates - and anywhere this is true, we can
treat as a possible point to establish a link to an Authority file.

Owen