Did you actually find references to "first expression" in RDA? If so,
could you point that out. I looked for such a statement but didn't find
it.It always appeared to me that all expressions are treated equally.

kc

Chris Todd wrote:
It's Friday afternoon here and we're grappling with the RDA draft and have come
very unstuck over preferred access points for expressions.

We are trying to establish the form of the preferred access point for the first
(& only) expression of a work.

We realize that the use of identifiers rather than preferred access points to
link manifestations and expressions would avoid this issue, but we would still
like to see if we can understand the requirements and would appreciate any
pointers anyone can give.

For a textual work with a single author the preferred access point for the work
following 6.27.1.2 would be the author + title  (preferred forms of each)  eg
Johnston, Alexa. Ladies a plate.

Looking at rule 6.27.3 it seems that the preferred access point for the
expression  would be Johnston, Alexa. Ladies a plate. Text.  Note that our
resource is the first manifestation of the only expression of this work.

There are no examples in the draft that show this kind of construction and all
the examples cover the situation where more than one expression already exists.
As around 70% of the titles we encounter are likely to have only 1 expression
we are keen to know whether we have actually reached the right conclusion about
expression access points.

We looked briefly at dvds and it appeared that in order to create a preferred access
point for a first expression we would be adding "two-dimensional moving image"
to the title. A bit clunky!

Then (we didn't quit while we were ahead!) we went back to rule 6.13 to look for distinguishing
characteristics of expression and found examples using the film Blade Runner which showed the use
of the terms "Final cut" and "Directors cut" for revised versions of the film,
but again nothing for the original version.

 Is there something we're missing?

Chris Todd & Charlotte Stretton

National Library of New Zealand

--