Adam L. Schiff wrote:

A qualifier can be added to the name of the work to indicate a particular
expression of the work.  If desired, I think an access point for an
unnarrated expression of Peter and the wolf could be created following the
instructions in RDA 6.13.  RDA wouldn't prescribe what term to record for
the "Other distinguishing characteristic of the expression", but perhaps
"Unnarrated" would be the most appropriate term to use.

Um.  Are we to suppose, then, that the name of a work (however the basic
elements are constructed -- creator name + title, or title alone) should
be elaborated with all possible differentiating elements when first created?

While I'm on record as saying that I believe current AACR2/LCRI/NACO
practices discourage cataloguers from proceeding to meet in advance
reasonably forseeable conflicts, I'm aghast at the prospect of making
explicit, in advance, criteria of difference in terms of extended
features which are *not* included in the expression in hand/on screen/in
hearing.  I doubt that's what Adam means.  But I'm struck by the
negative characteristic "unnarrated" (just as much as, in another frame
of reference, I'm struck by name constructs such as "Pseudo-Augustine").

Negative characteristics may be implied: one supposes that an expression
record for J.R.R. Tolkien's own maps for The Lord of the Rings would be
without a distinguishing qualifier, while Pauline Baynes's reworked
versions of the maps would, if not attributed primarily to her, be named
with some form of distinction from Tolkien's originals.

It hardly seems reasonable to proceed as if nothing will be changed or
amended after it has been created.  Must everything be made explicit, or
can some things be added afterwards, or be left implied?

If the former (everything to be made explicit at the outset), then RDA
must fail because unworkable.

Hal Cain
Dalton McCaughey Library
Parkville, Victoria, Australia