Anne Laguna schrieb:

I work for a regional public library service in Northern Australia, and
am probably out of the flow of things a bit, but: there has been a lot
of to-ing and fro-ing regarding the details of the RDA, and I am
interested to know what will happen to RDA if the LC decide 'they' don't
like it?

Well, what is "it"?
RDA comes, like AACR2, with lots of options for the "agency" to decide
on in their application policy. Within one agency, of course, it is
necessary to leave not too much open to the cataloger's case-by-case
decision but to get results that are as consistent as possible. For
cataloging is not just the production of records (long ago: cards) but
the building of a database (used to be: catalog).
The interesting thing will thus be what options LC are going to pick.
These will then be the ones encountered the most in future records
that are going to populate the utilities' databases. And so, these
will likely be what you find for the majority of new publications.
LC's legacy being enormous, do not expect a revolution of their
practice. They will likely pick options that don't hurt much but
that mean some sort of improvement, preferably for retrieval.
But for details, we'll all have to wait and see. Being aware of their
responsibility, they might already be telling more than they do.
But then again, they might also still be in a state of confusion, and
who would like to disclose that?
An uncomfortable state of matters, of course, for decisionmaking
elsewhere, like in your library or agengy. But, as Walter Cronkite
used to say, "That's the way it is..."

B.Eversberg